[TYPO3-UG US] Status of TYPO3.us

Dom Stockdale dom at magic-lamp.co.uk
Sat Dec 17 12:46:17 CET 2005

Alex Heizer wrote:
> Any opinions, anyone?

Yeah. At the end of the tutorial the user wants to go away feeling like
they learned something they can go on to re-apply and use in a real way.

In a practical sense that might mean doing a website in Templavoila or
whatever. It's unlikely that it would be that useful to them to produce
a website in pure TypoScript because in real life that would be a really
hardcore way to do things, but it is definitely nesseary for them to go
through a number of exercises with TypoScript so they understand it.

I wrote a 5 page tutorial for a magazine over here in the UK a few years
ago that explained how to go through doing a template using the automake
template method. It was quite a good exercise as they had such a strict
format you had to fit all the information into that made you think and
break it down really well. Although I was quite pleased with the article
and I used it a lot as reference for training sessions, teaching people
these heavily TypoScript laden methods has never been as well received
as doing things with TemplaVoila.

When you show people how to do templavoila they're very quickly
satisfied with the results and it's a great motivator, especially for
the windows users - worshippers of the gui. Then since it's more fun
they learn more. It is sort of like they're learning backwards as you of
have to show them about TypoScript later on but strangely they get it
more readily than if they'd done it first of all probably because they
want to understand what's going on behind things.

Anyway I was going to try and be diplomatic but I've just rambled, I'm
the wrong side of the Atlantic anyway, so my vote goes for Templavoila,
CSS Styled Content (and probably CSS Styled Image Text) and forget the
old school.

- Dom