[TYPO3-UG US] Status of TYPO3.us

Zach Davis zach at castironcoding.com
Sat Dec 17 08:00:21 CET 2005

Alex Heizer wrote:
> Hi Zach,
>
> The consensus about the Learning TYPO3 project is, and always was, to
> teach people how to properly make a site in TYPO3 so that they have a
> solid foundation. This will help every new user, and cut down on the
> list all the stupid questions that are posted due to people not having a
> proper foundation for building in T3. This means, learning from the
> ground up how to create a site using TypoScript.
>
> SInce TV is an extension, and in no way helps you learn the proper way
> to create a site in TypoScript, it would appear in the appendix as an
> additional way to make a site, once the reader already knows the proper
> way to code a site. The demo site will not be created in TV, and the
> included demo site will not be a TV site.
>
> Hope this helps.
> Alex

It was never my intent to unsettle something that had already been
settled -- and clearly I missed this consensus when it was made, or I
would have proposed a somewhat different definition of the "proper" way
to make a TYPO3 site. That, of course, is nobody's fault but mine, and I
happily defer to the will of the group and will move ahead with a more
classic approach.

One last thing I'd like to clarify -- am I correct in understanding your
post to mean that automaketemplate wouldn't be appropriate in this
package, because it's an extension?

I'm interpreting what you've written as meaning that the agreement is
that the output will be created using a TEMPLATE typoscript object, and
that we can store the HTML and CSS in external files (with commented
subpart markers and whatnot). Is this correct? (not trying to be dense
-- just want to make sure I understand the requirements before I do any
more work on this).

best,
Zach