[TYPO3-UG US] Status of TYPO3.us

Alex Heizer alex at tekdevelopment.com
Sat Dec 17 09:02:45 CET 2005

Hi Zach,

Zach Davis wrote:

>Alex Heizer wrote:
>

>>Hi Zach,
>>
>>The consensus about the Learning TYPO3 project is, and always was, to
>>teach people how to properly make a site in TYPO3 so that they have a
>>solid foundation. This will help every new user, and cut down on the
>>list all the stupid questions that are posted due to people not having a
>>proper foundation for building in T3. This means, learning from the
>>ground up how to create a site using TypoScript.
>>
>>SInce TV is an extension, and in no way helps you learn the proper way
>>to create a site in TypoScript, it would appear in the appendix as an
>>additional way to make a site, once the reader already knows the proper
>>way to code a site. The demo site will not be created in TV, and the
>>included demo site will not be a TV site.
>>
>>Hope this helps.
>>Alex
>>

>It was never my intent to unsettle something that had already been
>settled -- and clearly I missed this consensus when it was made, or I
>would have proposed a somewhat different definition of the "proper" way
>to make a TYPO3 site. That, of course, is nobody's fault but mine, and I
>happily defer to the will of the group and will move ahead with a more
>classic approach.

Well, the project has always been about teaching a new user how to learn
to create and administer an installation and site using TYPO3. Since TV
is an extension, this would be treated with the same consideration as,
for example, the news extension. Most people wouldn't think to install
and configure the news extension before your site is created and your
templates set up properly, so TV shouldn't be any different.

>One last thing I'd like to clarify -- am I correct in understanding your
>post to mean that automaketemplate wouldn't be appropriate in this
>package, because it's an extension?

Well, it's not inappropriate, it just needs to be handled the same way
as TV, as an extension. All the automake and TV extensions do is to
automatically handle some of the things TS does. We want to avoid the
confusion that occurs when a new user has created a site using TV and
wants to deviate from what is originally set up, and has no concept what
an "HMENU" is, for example (which I have seen lots of times already).
With a solid foundation, anything that the automake and TV extensions do
to make template-building easier will be easily understood, whereas by
learning using a system that hides much of the necessary information
from you, you are either stuck with what you are given or ignorant of
the basic knowledge you need to administer and customize a site in the
future.

>I'm interpreting what you've written as meaning that the agreement is
>that the output will be created using a TEMPLATE typoscript object, and
>that we can store the HTML and CSS in external files (with commented
>subpart markers and whatnot). Is this correct? (not trying to be dense
>-- just want to make sure I understand the requirements before I do any
>more work on this).

Yes. Since this is the foundation of creating a site in TYPO3, this is
what needs to be the basis for the LT3 project. Any extensions (except
for the 'shy' extensions that T3 needs in order to operate on a basic
level) should be treated the same way. I mean, they'll be handled
differently than the news, for example, because the news adds
functionality to the site itself, and automake and TV provide new ways
to create the site itself, but they're just extensions to be added on
top of the core system, and you can build a site without them, just like
you can build a site without the news extension. :)

Alex