[TYPO3-UG India] Few Questions about Typo3

Suman Debnath suman at srijan.in
Thu Jul 20 08:25:15 CEST 2006

Criticism of TYPO3 are desirable and even solicited when constructive.
However, poorly researched arguments and personal viewpoints are not
going to help anybody.

> I would NOT use typo3 again:

Good for you. TYPO3 is not for everybody. It has a specific section of
the users in mind. Simply not suitable for personal and so-called
'dynamic' websites.

> 1. Its cumbersome

Define cumbersome. I think it is a relative term and depends on the
skill level of the person making that statement. As I said before, TYPO3
is not for everybody.

> 2. far more complex than necessary

Very complex, yes. But not more than is necessary. It is meant for a
different group of users. Smaller sites requiring much less would be
better off with another CMS.

> 3. lots of documentation and tips are in German only

This is a plain wrong statement. Anybody going to the documentation page
will be able to see that. Do you have any experience with TYPO3 in the
last 2.5 years ?

> 4. narrow field of experts

Again a criticism with no meaning. What is a 'narrow field of experts' ?
There are over 20,000 developers registered on typo3.org. Even
considering that most of them are not 'experts', that leaves quite a
few. And not everybody needs to be a TYPO3 guru to do good work in it.

> 5. prone to break down

Really ? Can you give any case studies ? The peak usage of
http://cisce.in is around 1,000 concurrent connections/second and this
is TYPO3 based. Of course, it is assumed the developer/company is
familiar with optimization techniques.

> 8. very difficult to learn for new users

I agree if you are talking about developers/admins. The extensibility
and feature lit comes with a price. I don't agree if you are talking
about editors. For front end users, it solely depends upon the developer.

> 9. expensive to maintain and host compared with competition

How so ? It is expensive if you mean that you can't hire many of the
so-called 'php developers' at low wages. TYPO3 does require somebody
with decent expertise. As far as hosting is concerned, it can be easily
hosted on almost any LAMP server out there. Of course, the usage pattern
would always dictate the system requirements (as in the case of any
server application).

> 10. NOT intuitive, particularly in the back end.

Again, this is a relative term. I don't think it is any less intuitive
than anything offering the same level of features.

> There are better options out there... Note finally that google has
> recently gotten behind Drupal and I bet you and your (client?) will
> appreciate the larger community.

Drupal, Joomla, etc are very good products but operate in a different
class altogether. TYPO3 competes with Plone and maybe ezPublish.

> Typo3 will do a slow sunset into obscurity.

Does not seem so from our perspective. In the last year, volume of our
TYPO3 business has more than tripled. I will say this though, very few
people making personal sites would be interested in TYPO3. There are far
better applications out there for those purposes.

Regards,
Suman Debnath

Srijan Technologies Pvt. Ltd.
304 Bakshi House,