[TYPO3-UG India] Few Questions about Typo3

Rahul Dewan [srijan.in] rahul at srijan.in
Thu Jul 20 08:51:35 CEST 2006

Hi,
> I would NOT use typo3 again:

We've been working on Typo3 for 2 years now, and have a team of 10
people at our office here, building applications on Typo3 for customers
worldwide.
> 1. Its cumbersome

I agree, it has a far steeper learning curve than say Joomla, Postnuke
or other Content Management Systems. Typo3 should be seen more as a
Framework, rather than an out-of-box CMS.
> 2. far more complex than necessary

Well, I was at the Tycon3 in Germany last year and there was a debate on
whether we need to pitch Typo3 against easy-to-setup CMSs or projects it
as an ECMS and compete with the Interwovens and Vignettes out there.
Kasper (the original creator of Typo3), also shared the view that it is
more exciting to compete with the expensive commercial ECMSs. So, yes,
if you want more power, it will be more complex.

However, as Rajesh has pointed out in another email,
> 3. lots of documentation and tips are in German only

Absolutely incorrect. Typo3 is "one of the most well documented" Open
Source project, with most of the documentation in English. While there
maybe a lot in German, but there is an extremely conscious effort
towards making English the primary transaction language. Even on very
closed lists (few people, say from Germany) on specific applications
under development in Typo3, if there are posts in German, someone or the
other, makes sure to point out that the list is meant to be in English
primarily.

I think there is a very conscious move towards internationalising Typo3
and reaching out all over the World. "Inspiring to Share" was coined
with this vision in mind.
> 4. narrow field of experts

If you are talking about India, then even Plone/Zope, Alfresco,
eGroupware, and so on... all complex frameworks and products in the Open
Source world have few experts.

Worldwide, Typo3 has over 122,000 registered users on Typo3.org. The
community is increasing very very fast.
> 5. prone to break down

We've not had issues in the 2 years of implementing:
- www.bhartiairtel.in
- www.fieldfresh.in
- building apps for a customer in Europe who has their complete Intranet
and Extranet implemented on Typo3, which has been integrated with SAP as
well.
> 8. very difficult to learn for new users

Already answered.
> 9. expensive to maintain and host compared with competition

Agree. It is resource intensive and therefore from our experience
hosting could be expensive. Not sure what you mean by "expensive to
maintain". We've
> 10. NOT intuitive, particularly in the back end.

Well. I was completely averse to using Eventum as our internal ticketing
system. With some pressure internally, I am daily creating and closing
10-15 tickets across projects across our company. Everything takes a bit
of familiarity.

Besides, depending upon what users are required to do, their BE can be
simplified. The Admin screens are surely complex at first sight. That's
also a trade-off for a complex application. However, there is a trend
worldwide where Open Source apps are being taken up by Usability experts
for evaluation. Maybe something like this will happen with Typo3 in the
future.
> There are better options out there... Note finally that google has
> recently gotten behind Drupal and I bet you and your (client?) will
> appreciate the larger community.

Unable to comment on this, as I personally have no experience with
Drupal, but maybe some of my colleagues on this list can answer this.
> Typo3 will do a slow sunset into obscurity.

There is a definitive roadmap upto 2009, and a thriving Typo3
Association with members from all over the world. You'll see more and
more of Typo3 out there. It's catching up big time in USA/Canada as well
now. We've helped customers in Canada move from Plone to Typo3, because
they do not have enough local support on Plone (this by no means is a
tirade against Plone; just a statement).

The popularity of Typo3 in Europe, specifically Germany is so huge, it
is unbelievable.

Anyway, I'll leave you with these comments from a person who is using
Typo3 and helping customers adopt the same, from a user's perspective. I
am not a techie. Maybe my colleagues can answer more techie questions.
By the way, we'd be in a good position to answer, as we've got in-house
competence in Typo3, Plone/Zope, and very soon will be doing some
internal work on Drupal, Joomla, Alfresco, etc. to make good
comparisons, and ofcourse diversify our service base.

Thanks.

Warm Regards,
Rahul Dewan

--