[TYPO3-UG Australia] TYPO3 enthusiasts and UG in Melbourne

Christian Lerrahn (Cerebrum) christian.lerrahn at cerebrum.com.au
Thu Jun 12 03:28:57 CEST 2008

Hi Roger (and everyone else),
here is our report of the Melbourne meeting.

While this meeting was not set up to be a UG meeting it turned out to
be larger than any UG meeting had ever been. ;)

Unfortunately David did not make it but instead we had Bruno, so the 4
TYPO3 enthusiasts at the meeting were me (Christian, Cerebrum), Simon
(Cerebrum), Michael and Bruno.

We had a good chat about the how TYPO3 is used in Oz or at least
Melbourne and what we know about others using it. Simon gave a bit of
an overview of how Cerebrum has been involved with TYPO3 and how we
first came to use it.

We then also talked a bit about employment in the wider field of web
hosting, PHP programming, etc. which was mainly triggered by Michael's
job hunt questions.

Just before we left, Michael, Bruno and I also discussed how to promote
TYPO3 more in Oz. While word of mouth seems to be helpful already, we
were wondering what else could be done. We considered important to set
up a visible community in Australia but were not sure, yet, how to do
that. We concluded that too geeky an environment (e.g. open source
fairs) would not do the trick because we have to convince the people
who make the decisions about corporate websites, etc.. An idea was to
maybe try to be present at the more mainstream computer fairs as long
as that would be feasible. There could also be an effort to start a
community portal for Australia. I saw that typo3.org.au and
typo3.com.au are both owned by Matthew Kennewell (who hasn't posted
here in a while). He currently only forwards both of them to their gTLD
equivalents. Maybe we could use these domain names for real community
interaction. (But this already goes beyond "reporting").

Anyway, I think these were the main points discussed. If others have
additions, please post. I'll start another thread about the community
portal idea.

Cheers,
Christian