[Typo3-UG Australia] Dummy Testsite Package

Peter Dawson peter at nlpinformation.com
Mon May 30 11:24:32 CEST 2005

Hello all,

Sorry for this extremely dumb question.  I am having problems installing
the dummy testsite on my local server.  I downloaded BigApache onto
windows xp and I believe it is properly installed and everything is
working well.

These are the instructions for installing the typo3 testsite:

Install the TESTSITE package...

This package contains a pre-built site with loads of examples of what
TYPO3 can do, and how to do it...
1 - Extract the package to a suitable location on the server's hard drive
     - Windows users note 1...you should download one of the ZIP packages
     - Windows users note 2...you should avoid locations that will
result in a path with spaces (e.g. Programme Files or My Documents),
because it will cause problems within TYPO3
     - Linux users note 1...you have a choice of packages...the plain
source code, which does not include the testsite database...use this
with testsite.tgz, which contains the testsite, or use the ZIP package
as on Windows
     - Linux users note 2...if you use the tgz packages, you must check
the symlinks exist and point to the correct location, or create them
(see the document Installing Upgrading for details)
     - Linux users note 3...you may want to create a user and group
called "httpd" or "apache", and do the installation whilst logged in as
that user
2 - Set up your web server to point to the correct location. Set the
default document to be index.php (this is done with the DirectoryIndex
directive in Apache)
3 - If you are using Linux, or windows with an NTFS file system, ensure
the following files & folders are writable by the server.../typo3temp,
/typo3/temp, /typo3conf/localconf.php (chmod 755 or 777 on Linux)
4 - If you are setting up TYPO3 from anywhere other than on the server
itself (where you can use http://127.0.0.1 as the address), open
/typo3/install/index.php in your text editor and comment out lines 40 &
41 (adding /* at the beginning of the blank line before line 40, and */
on the blank line after line 41)
5 - Open your web browser and hit http://[your.site.name] or
http://127.0.0.1. You'll initially see an error message page, but will
be immediately re-directed to the 1-2-3 Install Tool
6 - Enter the information...
     - Step 1...database username, password & host [click update
localconf.php]
     - Step 2...either select the database if you created one earlier,
or enter a name in option 2 [click update localconf.php]
     - Step 3...the database file name should be shown in the box [click
Import database]
     - That's it!...the basic installation is complete
7 - You've now got 3 options...either...
     - Open & browse the testsite
     - Open the back end administration area (BE)
     - Finish configuring the installation...this is recommended because
there are lots of options that you can configure, including image processing
8 - When you have finished setting up TYPO3, and especially if your site
is on a public server, for security you MUST...
Either delete the /install folder, protect it using a .ht access file or
at least change the install tool password
Create a new administration user with a name and password that cannot be
guessed (on page 2 of the Install Tool, Database Analyser)

I actually can't figure out the process for the second step and the
third one at this stage.  Difficult to come to a screeching halt when
you haven't even started yet but I managed it.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Many thanks.

Peter