[TYPO3-translators] Is the translation replication broken ?

Dmitry Dulepov dmitry at typo3.org
Sun Aug 8 21:45:59 CEST 2010

Hi Ingmar!

Ingmar Schlecht wrote:
>Dmitry Dulepov schrieb:
>>I can't help.
> Well, that is not exactly true.

What's not true? I offered my own help, wrote multiple emails and asked
many people but nobody was able to solve it once and forever. Despite being
responsible for translations, I can't help. That's 100% true.

> working, but after the fix it was working for him again. So I don't
> think it is of any help if you simply say "the issue is known for 2 years".

I don't simply say. I track this issue all the time since my work at
Netcreators. Ask Ben. He was the first one who asked me to fix it years ago
and I spent lots of time communicating about it and testing it. All for
nothing.

The issue does exist for nearly 2 years with multiple mirrors. Reports
about it pop up regularly. I proposed to look at it myself at that time but
I never got rights to do it. How do I feel about it? Guess :-/

I do not remember whom I contacted. I remember I offered checking import
scripts, file permissions and logs. I had a plan. That all was safe. I
fully administer multiple servers for TYPO3 hosting here in Latvia for 7
years, so I hardly can corrupt anything.

It appears that at least three people tried to fix it in different times
but there are still problems. Did anybody set up a test script to detect
the problem? It is the simplest thing that admins can do.

> It is indeed a strange problem that seems to occur for some people at
> some points, which it would be good to have tracked down, but it's not
> like no synch at all had been functioning since 2 years.

It is always ok when using the main TER. However people had problems with
multiple other mirrors. Since using mirrors is a default configuration,
people typically have problems.

The fix would require access to both TER and at least one non–working 3rd
party mirror. When mirror works, an instruction must be written and placed
on typo3.org for everybody to set up language replication correctly. It is
done with rsync, there should be no problem but seems like there is.

Sorry if I am overemotional but it is hard to be calm watching the same
issue for years.

--
Dmitry Dulepov
TYPO3 core&security team member