[TYPO3-translators] Is the translation replication broken ?

Ingmar Schlecht ingmar at typo3.org
Sun Aug 8 22:45:31 CEST 2010

Hi Dmitry,

Dmitry Dulepov wrote:
> Hi Ingmar!
>
> Ingmar Schlecht wrote:
>> Dmitry Dulepov schrieb:
>>> I can't help.
>> Well, that is not exactly true.
>
> What's not true? I offered my own help, wrote multiple emails and asked
> many people but nobody was able to solve it once and forever. Despite being
> responsible for translations, I can't help. That's 100% true.
>
>> working, but after the fix it was working for him again. So I don't
>> think it is of any help if you simply say "the issue is known for 2 years".
>
> I don't simply say. I track this issue all the time since my work at
> Netcreators. Ask Ben. He was the first one who asked me to fix it years ago
> and I spent lots of time communicating about it and testing it. All for
> nothing.
>
> The issue does exist for nearly 2 years with multiple mirrors. Reports
> about it pop up regularly. I proposed to look at it myself at that time but
> I never got rights to do it. How do I feel about it? Guess :-/

I really appreciate your work about that, and can also to some degree
understand your emotions about it. But root access to typo3.org is
something really delicate and we try to not give it to anyone, because
the server has quite a special server setup with two BSD systems being
partly mirrored and partly not, which is easy to mess something up with
or would take time to brief people to correctly handle, so it was
nothing personal. Instead, Sebastian was investigating the problem and
actually fixed it back then, so it's not as if it went unnoticed.

Now, why the issue keeps popping up is something we must investigate
(see below).

> I do not remember whom I contacted. I remember I offered checking import
> scripts, file permissions and logs. I had a plan. That all was safe. I
> fully administer multiple servers for TYPO3 hosting here in Latvia for 7
> years, so I hardly can corrupt anything.
>
> It appears that at least three people tried to fix it in different times
> but there are still problems. Did anybody set up a test script to detect
> the problem? It is the simplest thing that admins can do.

I think a test script would be a good idea, but I find it a bit strange
that you mention it as "the simplest thing admins can do", as if every
admin would set up a test script for everything that he just fixed.

Anyway, sure it's a good idea. But a test script actually doesn't even
require access to the typo3.org server or the mirrors, as it would only
be a reliable test script, if it acts just like the Extension Manager
would act when downloading the translations from TER.

Actually, would you like to work on such a test script? I think it could
be really valuable, and I think we might even be able to fund it from
the server team budget.

>> It is indeed a strange problem that seems to occur for some people at
>> some points, which it would be good to have tracked down, but it's not
>> like no synch at all had been functioning since 2 years.
>
> It is always ok when using the main TER. However people had problems with
> multiple other mirrors. Since using mirrors is a default configuration,
> people typically have problems.
>
> The fix would require access to both TER and at least one non–working 3rd
> party mirror. When mirror works, an instruction must be written and placed
> on typo3.org for everybody to set up language replication correctly. It is
> done with rsync, there should be no problem but seems like there is.
>
> Sorry if I am overemotional but it is hard to be calm watching the same
> issue for years.

No, really, I understand your feelings about this, but I also wanted to
write my reasons down. I hope you don't feel offended by anything I wrote.

Thanks for caring about the translation issues!

cheers
Ingmar