[TYPO3-translators] TANSTANMTN

Michael Shigorin mike at osdn.org.ua
Mon May 28 10:26:56 CEST 2007

On Sat, May 26, 2007 at 12:54:27PM +0200, Krystian Szymukowicz wrote:
> there should be an check that will allow to inform that there
> is no need for new translators. If there is a group of trusted
> translators and this group can manage translation of the core
> well then a new translators are only an danger that they will
> change something "his own way".  So at the list of translators
> at typo3.org under each country there could be an information
> "No more translators needed".
>
> Is this a good concept?

The latter is particularly wrong concept.  People aren't going to
be always plenty, highly professional and with lots of free time
on their hands.

Usually those who are doing considerable work were quite shy
a few years ago, and those who do most of work are often retired
in several years (mostly due to burning out).

"Closed doors" shops tend to fall into elitism and conservatism
of all kinds, and that's just wrong judging on e.g. BSD vs Linux
(let's not discuss that here but usage and applicability tells).

Guess "junior jobs" would be a better (and tested) concept:
there's always a lot of stuff to be translated, updated or
improved and one has to peek into existing translations, ask
language team or otherwise become familiar with terminology.

Glossaries do help too (there's quite robust custom engine
at http://dict.linux.org.ua -- English-Ukrainian technical
disctionary, I can ask the author whether it's adaptable to
such task or hardwired too much.  But that's what a FAQ is
to a mailing list or newsgroup: next generalization level
which saves time on re-answering.

(btw a dictionary wiki like MW should do fine, too)

--
 ---- WBR, Michael Shigorin <mike at altlinux.ru>