[TYPO3-translators] ext translation system

Michael Shigorin mike at osdn.org.ua
Fri May 18 20:10:58 CEST 2007

On Fri, May 18, 2007 at 08:50:57PM +0300, Dmitry Dulepov wrote:
> Well, most people, who can code it, are busy and they need to
> abandon some job to make this tool.

Maybe the estimation should have been taken into account when
breaking TER1.  That would help not to have it a "zombie"...

It's usually better to make less capable but better balanced
system exactly because overlooked parts tend to be considered
"ugly" compared to the rest even if they blow away their
counterparts of another systems on the block.

> That job may be paid, or it may be a free gift to community.
> Surely these people need motivation to switch from current task
> to a new task. What can you propose as such motivation?

Dima, that's what I call "infrastructure" (like city roads)
and that's why I've wondered whether Association is the right
way to deal with IS issues.

I'm playing sort of a role of community manager in ALT Linux
together with others, and get very wary when someone starts
to mention money along with infrastructural tasks.

Business(es) behind the project might not be able by themselves
when they need to to do what can be achieved with community
*and* infrastructure (be that bugtracker or translations).

This week, ALT folks decided that they need maximally full specs
translation; in the mean time, "specspo" infrastructure took a
few blows by individuals but *now* it has to be done, with finite
deadline.

This is a tradeoff between minor effort at the right place and
time, or major effort when there's no time left.

Guess you knew it all though.

So hope this incident is over but please core folks, do plan
minor fixups after major breakage to avoid silly threads like
this one...

--
 ---- WBR, Michael Shigorin <mike at altlinux.ru>