[TYPO3-translators] ext translation system

Krystian Szymukowicz t33kRE.MO.VE. at RE.MO.VE.prolabium.com
Fri May 18 15:46:51 CEST 2007

Andreas Schwarzkopf wrote:
> Hi,
>
> translators who spend their time since many years translating Typo3 for
> free and making typo3 better for the whole world should now pay or collect
> money for a tool making translations possible??
>
> OK, please *delete* me from thee list of translators.
>
> I quit my job as a chief translator and any activities on the typo3
> project because of this horrible treatment of volunteers.

Think about the reason you did translation at all. For 99% it was TYPO3
site that you were making for your client or for yourself. So you had
you personal itch and you only shared you translation work with others.
Thanks for that anyway because many people do some valuable things but
do not share.

Think about TYPO3 developers and TYPO3 Association member fees. If some
developer do a volunteer work fixing some bug/making TYPO3 better - does
it mean that he should not pay members fees at all? I wonder how many
members had the TYPO3 Association then.

What I did observe is that I lost my extensions translations few times
by accident (ext. upgrade) and that did cost me some time and
time=money. So instead of waiting for the next unwanted ext. translation
erase and/or instead of wasting time to merge translation from different
extension versions into new one I would like to SIMPLY GET IT DOWN from
translation server. Fast and easy.

That's why I'am willing to spent 50Euro even in spite of the fact that I
did lot of translations. I do not really think that my work obliges
someone to make a proper tool for it. I think I already get something
for my translation and volunteer - that's TYPO3.

Are volunteer work and sponsoring at the same time mutually exclusive?
Nobody makes you to pay anything. If you think you volunteer so much and
there is NO OTHER WAY you can help you may just sit down and wait for
better translation system.

--
grtz
Krystian