[TYPO3-translators] Info about new translations?

Christian Hennecke hennecke at pointblank-edv.de
Fri Dec 14 00:28:11 CET 2007

On Mon, 10 Dec 2007 21:44:53 +0200, Dmitry Dulepov [typo3] wrote:

Hi!

>>> Don't forget this is a open source community. It's impossible to
>>> "overorganize" things like you do in a commercial project. So everyone in
>>> the community does his work with individual responsibility. Communication is
>>> the most important thing, and this is done here in this lists. Interested
>>> people are reading and know whats going on.
>>
>> *blinks with disbelieve*
>>
>> #include <rant.h>
>>
>> Sorry, but this attitude is exactly what has kept Open Source Software
>> from being taken seriously for ages. This is "shooting yourself in the
>> foot" by alienating potential users and people who want to help, and
>> wasting resources galore. What happened to me when I wanted to help
>> translating is a prime example for this: Hard to find information on
>> how to help, and then nobody reacts in this list when I first offered
>> my contributions. I can tell you that I was *very* short of saying
>> "Well, if you don't want help... I can think of more pleasant things to
>> do..." Yeah, let's make it as hard as possible for people to use TYPO3
>> and help. That will certainly help to bring it forward.
>
>Rather long quote but... I have to agree with Steffen with a small correction that it should be not about open source community but about volunteered development. I wrote a big continutation but decided to erase it because I do not believe that it will lead to anywhere.

Well, I've been involved in several volunteer development projects --
as a contributor and coordinator as well -- and it's always been the
same: At some point, the thing reaches a size where coordination,
communication, and information the "playing it by the ear" way becomes
problematic. If you don't add some means of organization, friction
losses get really high and people end up seriously put off.  And in the
case of volunteer work, there isn't money to keep those people going,
they simply leave. This applies to users, developers, and other
contributors at the same time.

This is why I wanted to suggest the rather modest means I lined out in
my previous message. I really don't understand why people jump to
extreme conclusions and start lashing out.

Well, that's all I have to say about the matter.

Christian Hennecke