[TYPO3-translators] translation handling question

Krystian Szymukowicz t33kRE.MO.VE. at RE.MO.VE.prolabium.com
Thu Aug 9 14:50:08 CEST 2007

Dmitry Dulepov [typo3] wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Krystian Szymukowicz wrote:
>> 1. GLOBAL TRANSLATION FILES
>>
>> Is there any steps taken towards to move translations files to "typo3"
>> folder so it can be common for more that once TYPO3 installation? Or
>> is this rather impossible or not important now?
>
> Extension files stay with extensions, core files stay in typo3/sysext/lang

I am not sure I was clear enough so I will describe it more precisely

"Extension files stay with extensions"
---------------------------------------
Within new concept there should be no other translations than default in
extension directory. All translations should go to external files in
"l10n" folders.

So if we have possibility to install global extension in "typo3/ext"
there should be also possibility to install global translation for that
extension, isn't it? (for example in "typo3/ext/lang" folder).

Otherwise a nice idea of global extension will be not ideal. If someone
uses one typo3 source for many sites he has to install extensions'
language packs in every "typo3conf/l10n".

"core files stay in typo3/sysext/lang"
For now in "typo3/sysext/lang" there is only default English translation
of core. If someone uses one typo3 source for many sites he has to
install language packs in every "typo3conf/l10n".

What about making it possible to read first from that directories
	   typo3/sysext/lang/xx
            typo3/sysext/lang/de

Even manually copy from "typo3conf/l10n/de" to "typo3/ext/lang/de" will
solve it. But the system must be modified to see that language folders
in typo3/ext/lang/.

Additionally. After TYPO3 upgrade there is need to update core language
packages on every TYPO3 installation.  With "typo3/sysext/lang/xx" there
is no such need.

--
grtz
Krystian Szymukowicz