[TYPO3-translators] EM and translations download

Kasper Skårhøj kasper2006 at typo3.com
Mon Feb 27 23:48:17 CET 2006

>> - DISTRIBUTION: EM knows which extensions are installed and can
>> (automatically) download language files. It could work like this; 1)
>> scan all extensions for llXML files, 2) request a repository (simple
>> http) for the corresponding file for a language and if found 3) copy
>> to the language pack dir.
>
> Ok, no big deal (I dare to say ;o). We could
>  * add a new section to the EM for handling languages
>  * you can set the list of wanted/needed languages there

yes

>  * when a new ext is installed the EM tries to fetch the language
>  * later you can make it check/update translations manually (button/
> link)

yes

>  * you get an overview of the installed extensions and the language
> files
>    for them (matrix with red/green boxes or something like that)

something like that. Maybe showing what is not translated with a link
to translation tool (provided llxmltranslate is installed!)

> But we should not download all languages for all extensions and the
> core, this
> is exactly what we want to avoid, no?

exactly!
Interestingly, it doesn't even make sense to think in terms of core
and extensions here since the core is ALSO represented by extensions
(system extensions) and only those core extensions which are loaded
needs to be included in the check.

Still, for translators the concept of a "complete" translation of
TYPO3 refers to when all system extensions are translated.

> Aside from the EM, there needs to be support in the repository. The
> easiest
> way would be (for official translations) to have another directory
> there with
> another XML file (like extensions.xml.gz) and a MD5 file (like
> extensions.md5). This way checks for updates would be easy and fast.

I don't care how you do this. In my eyes the repository could be just
a reflection of the l10n/ dir with all available extensions in! I'm
not sure all the gz-stuff is a good idea. Up to you. You made the
TER2/EM2 anyway.

The issue of versioning cannot be observed then, but actually I think
we can ignore that altogether: Old language packs will typically
support newer versions of an extension; Non-translated items will
just appear in english and non-existing translated items are ignored.
No big deal.

> If we work on this together and the final for 4.0 comes late
> enough, we might
> even avoid the download-unzip-use scenario (which seems a bit
> unfriendly to
> the users, it is a step back compared to now!).

I agree.
If you manage to pull that off it would be very cool!

>> - CONTRIBUTION: People download an extension but it turns out that no
>
> I'll ignore this topic for now, as there are lot's of pitfalls on
> the way...
> We'll see after 4.0, okay? :)

Absolutely.

I didn't expect neither to be implemented for 4.0 but I must admit
that if the distribution part could be implemented with at least
rudimentary download support it would be fantastic. The upload bit
can be handled manually for the translations for a while.

- kasper

> Karsten
> --
> Karsten Dambekalns
> TYPO3 Association - Active Member
> http://association.typo3.org/

- kasper

"A contribution a day keeps the fork away"