[TYPO3-translators] EM and translations download

Karsten Dambekalns karsten at typo3.org
Mon Feb 27 18:48:04 CET 2006

Hi Kasper, hi list.

On Monday 27 February 2006 17:44, Kasper Skårhøj wrote:
> Short introduction: A language pack is defined by being located in
> "typo3conf/l10n/[language key]/[ext.key]/[path to llXML file as in
> the extension]"
> - DISTRIBUTION: EM knows which extensions are installed and can
> (automatically) download language files. It could work like this; 1)
> scan all extensions for llXML files, 2) request a repository (simple
> http) for the corresponding file for a language and if found 3) copy
> to the language pack dir.

Ok, no big deal (I dare to say ;o). We could
 * add a new section to the EM for handling languages
 * you can set the list of wanted/needed languages there
 * when a new ext is installed the EM tries to fetch the language
 * later you can make it check/update translations manually (button/link)
 * you get an overview of the installed extensions and the language files
   for them (matrix with red/green boxes or something like that)

But we should not download all languages for all extensions and the core, this
is exactly what we want to avoid, no?

Aside from the EM, there needs to be support in the repository. The easiest
way would be (for official translations) to have another directory there with
another XML file (like extensions.xml.gz) and a MD5 file (like
extensions.md5). This way checks for updates would be easy and fast.

If we work on this together and the final for 4.0 comes late enough, we might
even avoid the download-unzip-use scenario (which seems a bit unfriendly to
the users, it is a step back compared to now!).

> - CONTRIBUTION: People download an extension but it turns out that no

I'll ignore this topic for now, as there are lot's of pitfalls on the way...
We'll see after 4.0, okay? :)

Karsten
--
Karsten Dambekalns