[TYPO3-translators] EM and translations download

Kasper Skårhøj kasper2006 at typo3.com
Mon Feb 27 17:44:50 CET 2006

Hi Robert and Karsten,

If you have followed the translator list you might know that I
changed the way language packs work in TYPO3. This is described in
the updated Inside TYPo3 and TYPO3 Core API documents (found in CVS,
module CoreDocs under the "typo3" project on sf).

Short introduction: A language pack is defined by being located in
"typo3conf/l10n/[language key]/[ext.key]/[path to llXML file as in
the extension]"

This means that translations are no longer distributed in extensions
in the idea world! And this will work when the EM is updated to
support this. Here are some examples:

- DISTRIBUTION: EM knows which extensions are installed and can
(automatically) download language files. It could work like this; 1)
scan all extensions for llXML files, 2) request a repository (simple
http) for the corresponding file for a language and if found 3) copy
to the language pack dir.
- CONTRIBUTION: People download an extension but it turns out that no
translation is found on the translation repository for that
extension. They install "llxmltranslate" and after making/adjusting
their translation they use the EM to upload that file (I don't know
how exactly). They have no contributed a translation.
- NO BOTTLENECKS: Translations are finally independent of their
extensions which is a good thing.

Ad "Contribution": It is unsure how the best way is. Definitely
everyone should have a chance to contribute very easily but maybe the
upload server is not the download server but rather a location from
where contributions must pass through a basic check by people from
the translator list? Also, what if people change one label and
someone another label? So, basically we would at best like people to
use CVS for contribution? This is still an open question but the
technology is as simple as it gets with the new file structure in the
language packs: There is simply no complex overhead! Just XML files.

Robert/Karsten, what do you think? I would like to have a discussion
about how to implement this support and I have put the translator
list in copy, maybe you want to subscribe and we find a solution on
the list.

- kasper

"A contribution a day keeps the fork away"