[TYPO3-hci] sysaction issue as discussed in core

Ernesto Baschny [cron IT] ernst at cron-it.de
Tue Oct 21 10:42:26 CEST 2008

Hi Steffen,

Steffen Kamper wrote: on 20.10.2008 22:05:

> I don't know why but this was hot discussed in core list. So what is
> that about? Here a summaray of the issue
>
> What are sysactions?
> ====================
> (...)
>
> What is the patch about?
> ========================
>
> The patch creates a toolbar menu for the created sys_action with
> one-click-access, see screenshot.
>
> What is the claiming about?
> ===========================
>
> Now some are claiming about GUI-change, what happens when there are a
> lot of actions etc. Please look in core list and read the thread
> [TYPO3-core] RFC: #9591: Integrate sys_actions into toolbar

Thanks Steffen.

I am not a HCI team member, but here is my opinion anyway:

Dmitry objected about "many icons" in the Sys Action menu: Well, I think
that if some TYPO3 site needs that many actions, there is something
wrong with it. The actions should only be given to certain user groups
to fulfill their specific tasks. So any action which the user has
permission to access is very specific for the tasks he is meant to
accomplish, thus they are very important for his daily work. So placing
them somewhere prominent is perfectly reasonable.

As the "top level icon" only appears if there are any actions available,
those folks that don't use actions anyway won't even see the icon.

About the main-icon itself: It doesn't really optically fit with the
other icons we have there (well, Workspaces also is a bit ugly). Usually
for "action" one would find a "running man" or some other "go do it"
oriented icon. The hand with the gear doesn't tell my much.

In the drop-down menu, I would like to see distinct icons per action. For:

- "Create new record" there should be the record's icon (tt_news, etc)
with the green "+" overlayed

- "Create backend user" it could be the green man

- "SQL-Query" might as well look like the List icon (a tabular list of
data) (the user can download "CSV data" here)

- "Record list" could be the record's icon, if listing only a specific
table, or the List icon, if there is no record type restriction.

- "Edit records" also the record't icon, if only one type, or the "edit"
pen.

The "icon drawing", and adding them to the functionality could be a
second patch, and shouldn't hinder the concept itself (with the current
icons) to "go in".

Cheers,
Ernesto