[TYPO3-hci] sysaction issue as discussed in core

Steffen Kamper info at sk-typo3.de
Tue Oct 21 10:57:06 CEST 2008

Hi Ernesto,

Ernesto Baschny [cron IT] schrieb:
> I am not a HCI team member, but here is my opinion anyway:

you don't need to, this is an open discussion.

> Dmitry objected about "many icons" in the Sys Action menu: Well, I think
> that if some TYPO3 site needs that many actions, there is something
> wrong with it. The actions should only be given to certain user groups
> to fulfill their specific tasks. So any action which the user has
> permission to access is very specific for the tasks he is meant to
> accomplish, thus they are very important for his daily work. So placing
> them somewhere prominent is perfectly reasonable.

full ACK

> As the "top level icon" only appears if there are any actions available,
> those folks that don't use actions anyway won't even see the icon.

exactly

> About the main-icon itself: It doesn't really optically fit with the
> other icons we have there (well, Workspaces also is a bit ugly). Usually
> for "action" one would find a "running man" or some other "go do it"
> oriented icon. The hand with the gear doesn't tell my much.
>
> In the drop-down menu, I would like to see distinct icons per action. For:
>
> - "Create new record" there should be the record's icon (tt_news, etc)
> with the green "+" overlayed
>
> - "Create backend user" it could be the green man
>
> - "SQL-Query" might as well look like the List icon (a tabular list of
> data) (the user can download "CSV data" here)
>
> - "Record list" could be the record's icon, if listing only a specific
> table, or the List icon, if there is no record type restriction.
>
> - "Edit records" also the record't icon, if only one type, or the "edit"
> pen.

also full ACK. In the patch i used the existing ones which look bit
outdated.
Jens, could you create icons for each action and for the main sys_action
as proposal?

> The "icon drawing", and adding them to the functionality could be a
> second patch, and shouldn't hinder the concept itself (with the current
> icons) to "go in".

i hope so too. Second patch should
* replace icons
* group icons by type