[TYPO3-hci] Login Screen

Francois Suter fsuter at cobweb.ch
Fri Apr 25 15:05:48 CEST 2008

Hi,

> We don't need it that much for the login screen, but we definitely need
> it for a true rewrite for the BE when we want a real skinnuing API.
> There's so much hard coded stuff that is neither easy to maintain nor
> flexible when it comes to minor local changes.
>
> At least we should try to use the MVC paradigm or any other means that
> separates logic from output.

I agree with that, but I also agree with what Georg says. I don't think
we need such a sophisticated templating engine. The main interested of
Smarty is its cache management and I don't think it would be very useful
for an application such as the TYPO3 backend. Furthermore it *is* quite
painful to use and I think it would greatly complicate the construction
of the backend. I have used Smarty in 2 applications a couple of years
ago and my conclusion was that I don't want to use Smarty anymore :-)

Go, Smarty fans, shoot me down ;-)

--

Francois Suter