[TYPO3-hci] Open Source usability sucks?

Kasper Skårhøj kasper2006 at typo3.com
Wed Sep 27 11:50:45 CEST 2006

> By obligation, devotion and empathy.

These are all fine noble principles which are great spices to our
culture but all fails when times get tough.

I'm looking for a solution in tough times.

First, lets consider what the base motivations for producing
improvements to TYPO3 is:
- Personal itch; yes, people write an extension or core patches
because they need it themselves or their clients.
- Acknowledgement; yes, people may feel motivated by praise, status
in the community, but its volatile because more wants more and you
get used to it.
- Moral obligation; yes, but only a few buy that deeply. And I'm
beginning to think its a very bad motivation because it leads
directly into burn-outs and disillusions.
- Social; yes, others itches can become yours in a strong social
relationship. While this may drive us at the snowboard tour, it
degrades heavily when we are back home in our offices, away from each
other.

How can these be leveraged for usability:
- Personal itch: I believe this is the strongest motivation at all.
However, for the average single contributer it will not work because
he doesn't care for an enduser. However, _agencies_ ought to have a
personal itch where it hurts for their clients! I believe the
strongest incentive to improve usability would be with agencies,
trying to pitch against other, more usable systems.
- Acknowledgement; as long as our community doesn't include the
voices of end-users, there is no acknowledgement to gain from
improving usability.
- Moral obligation; I would be surprised...
- Social; I think, in a constellation where a developer meets and end
user on a friendly basis, and looks over their shoulder at how they
struggle, then they will often feel a great urge to solve usability
issues to relieve their pain. The key is, that the developer sees the
problems right in front of him, not through some dumb report he can
choose not to believe. He will feel motivated to solve the problem
because a) he is rewarded by seeing the joy of an end user getting by
much better and/or b) he hates to live with the knowledge that his
software is not the right tool for everyone (which he thought to that
date and defended eagerly when questioned).

So, this is my 2c:
- Agencies have the strongest direct motivation to solve usability
issues for their own sake.
- Developer meets Enduser face-to-face and wants to help the poor,
struggling fellow man.

- kasper