[TYPO3-hci] Open Source usability sucks?

Troels Kjær Rasmussen troels at linkfactory.dk
Wed Sep 27 11:13:54 CEST 2006

> Hm, it takes much devotion to create something at all. If you work on a
> large project it involves an obligation towards other to make good and
> working code that improves things and doesn't break anything. A real
> obligation is IMHO a bit much to aks (see below why).

Noone is questioning the the obligation of the developers towards the
system and the code. I´m just advocating applying a concept of
refactoring usability by the same principles that Robert and others have
advocated refactoring code as a natural coding process.

> The problem is that the users rarely applaud. They usually complain and
> DEMAND that things to be done - and even more, they want it done
> quickly. I can live without that kind of interaction.

Well another approach is to turn the other cheek and consider the users
input as a motivation. If he complains it´s because he's interrested in
what you do - if he doesn´t complain it´s because he doesn´t care...

> If developers have obligations to users (make working and usable
> programs), then please define what are the obligations of the users?
> Send money, praise the coders, ...?

The respect of the enduser is hard to obtain and we will probably never
reach a point where we can say that everyone is 100% satisfied - however
it should still be a goal in itself to comply to enduser needs and
thereby keep him obligated to TYPO3 (which he usually is by choosing it
first of). The alternative resembles writing a 1000 pages political book
only readable by the ones who already agree with you - this has never
motivated a lot of the writers (especially not of the "great classics",
which I think TYPO3 resembles)

regards

Troels Kjær Rasmussen, LinkFactory