[TYPO3-hci] Kickoff: TYPO3 4.1 (suggestions)

Wed Sep 13 09:13:47 CEST 2006

Robert Markula wrote:
> Elmar Hinz wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> there are customers in the real world, that indeed ask for accessibility
>> of the BE. But I think that are rather a few selected ownes.  For me
>> that wouldn't be reason to plan full accessibility.
>>
>> A much better reason to adhere the guidlines of accessibility is that
>> accessibility includes a lot of standards and positive side effects,
>> first to name HCI itself. I also think of skinnablility, performance,
>> browser compatibility.
>>
>> An accessible output is also an ideal basis to add ajax, because we have
>> well organized, slim and clean XML code.
>>
>> Conclusion:
>>
>> Accessibility and ajax match very well together, if one does it in the
>> right order.
>
> Hi Elmar!
> I like your point.
> So for a slim basis to accessibility and/or AJAX I suggest the following
> steps:
> 1. Making the BE XHTML 1.0 trans - or better XHTML 1.0 strict for a
> future-proof and clean base.
> 2. Using CSS instead of (deprecated) inline formatting (should be
> adressed by point #1) -> diversion between structure and design.

That should be a no brainer.

> 3. If possible, do away with layout-tables. Ok, accessibility can be
> achieved with layout tables, and pure CSS-based layout tends to bring

No, it can't be achieved with layout tables. Tables are not for layout.

The function of tables is to list multidimensional content. The list
module is a place where a table would be in place.

Even there a simple list may be the better solution. See:

http://typo3.org/extensions/

> problems with browser-compatibility and needs ugly hacks. But a large
> number of browser-compatible CSS-based websites out there proves that it
> is possible. Questions are: Are we willing to invest so much time for a

For me it saves time. I don't need to fiddle around with all those table
tags. I have a linear series of DIVs with IDs. That's it. Simple.

> table-less output? Is this useful at all?

"Table less output" is not the definition of accessibility. Tables have
a function, but the function is not layout.

> 4. Implement specific accessibility.
>
> Those are my thougts for now.
>
> Ro

Regards