[TYPO3-hci] Kickoff: TYPO3 4.1 (suggestions)

Robert Markula robert.markula at gmx.net
Wed Sep 13 08:31:05 CEST 2006

Elmar Hinz wrote:
> Hi,
>
> there are customers in the real world, that indeed ask for accessibility
> of the BE. But I think that are rather a few selected ownes.  For me
> that wouldn't be reason to plan full accessibility.
>
> A much better reason to adhere the guidlines of accessibility is that
> accessibility includes a lot of standards and positive side effects,
> first to name HCI itself. I also think of skinnablility, performance,
> browser compatibility.
>
> An accessible output is also an ideal basis to add ajax, because we have
> well organized, slim and clean XML code.
>
> Conclusion:
>
> Accessibility and ajax match very well together, if one does it in the
> right order.

Hi Elmar!
I like your point.
So for a slim basis to accessibility and/or AJAX I suggest the following
steps:
1. Making the BE XHTML 1.0 trans - or better XHTML 1.0 strict for a
future-proof and clean base.
2. Using CSS instead of (deprecated) inline formatting (should be
adressed by point #1) -> diversion between structure and design.
3. If possible, do away with layout-tables. Ok, accessibility can be
achieved with layout tables, and pure CSS-based layout tends to bring
problems with browser-compatibility and needs ugly hacks. But a large
number of browser-compatible CSS-based websites out there proves that it
is possible. Questions are: Are we willing to invest so much time for a
table-less output? Is this useful at all?
4. Implement specific accessibility.

Those are my thougts for now.

Ro