[TYPO3-hci] PPT: Ideas to improve the Usability of Typo3 4.x / 5.0

Andreas Balzer typo3 at andreas-balzer.de
Tue Oct 24 00:21:43 CEST 2006

Jens Hoffmann schrieb:
> New Version is out ... now the PDF is about 5 mb. big.
> For all my Modem friends out there :)
>
> New Charts: 11, 12, 13, 29, 36, 37, 42
> Updatet Charts: 3, 8, 10, 17, 19, 22, 34, 35, 43, 44, 45, 46, 68
>
>  > Andreas Balzer schrieb:
>  > The styleguide says: No light effects around it :)
>
> I will find a solution for this. Next Version will be different.
>
>  > ... that you currently only show icons in your chart. I think there
> has to be some text with it. Like Edit/Remove/New/..
>
> We made a usability survey at our Office about this. --- Icon vs. Text
> Button
>
> And basically it came out:
> - If the Icon follows a Concept (Icon add on Icon E.g. New, Page = New
> Page, etc.)
> - If the Picture makes Sense to it's role
> - If the Icon is at the right expected Place
> Icons are a lot more used than Text Button if you see both
>
> What douse thins mean to us?
> - Same Icons should be found at the same place
> - We need less basic Icons (Page, Content, ..) and some Addon Icons
> (New, Del, ..)
>   to combine it to a logic and known Icon
> - We need to penetrate the Icons to the New User so he knows what what
> means
>   = First Time in Typo3 Flash Tutorial ... etc.
>
> I would alway prefer Icons because I'm a Designer :)
> But surely it has to a optional thing for those who don't like Icons.
>
>  > ... i wanted to mention a possible improvement. I think it would be
> great, if T3 could sort your items, according to it's meaning.
>
> Look at the Chart 37 ... sort is planed :) ... we just a god idea how to
> do it.
> Maybe a "Sort"-Icon by side the Combo box is enough?
>
>> Chart 10 is a little bit confusing. You show Hide page & 'Page not in
>> menu'. Below that you have From&To. Many users won't know, whether
>> From&To changes the hide option, or the 'not in menu' option.
>
> Check Chart 11-13 .. We got used to the chaos i think :)
> I really think it make more sense to Group the Settings by its Parent
> Function.
>
>> And also the section is a bit messy too. What about big icons and big
>> texts. Only the most used functions have to be shown, but they have to
>> be shown really big. Show a big icon and the text "Hide this page". If
>> you click on it, the user should be asked, whether he wants to hide
>> the page from all users, so they can not access it, or whether the
>> page should not be displayed in menus. If this is the case, something
>> like a wizard could be shown (feature suggestion for 5.0), where the
>> BE user has the possibility, to hide the page from 1. sidebar,
>> 2.menus, 3. search, ...
>
> I have added some Icons but this may overload that thing a bit.
> I don't think that we need dialogs/wizard for this. It's clear what
> it douse and i doesn't break/del. anything.
>
> But thanks a lot for your Feedback again !! You are the only one :(
> I hoped there would be more ... :(

> [...]

Comment on chart 19: afaik it's not "side", but pages. However.. I want
to be able to use the good old way of edit pages in the next versions of
T3 too. It can maybe be shown instead of TV, but it has to be available.
Comment on chart 37: Yeah. I like the sidebar thing. As i mentioned
several times this would be perfect not only to show configure-things
and other information about the elements. A help system, even a
connection to a predefined (but configurable) TYPO3 help chat would be
possible. And of course this sidebar could be connected to the
dashboard. (BTW: Where's the dashboard button?)

Some other ideas i gave are not mentioned allready.. It would be nice,
if you can add them.

Andreas