[TYPO3-hci] PPT: Ideas to improve the Usability of Typo3 4.x / 5.0

Jens Hoffmann werbung at baiz.org
Mon Oct 23 20:07:02 CEST 2006

New Version is out ... now the PDF is about 5 mb. big.
For all my Modem friends out there :)

New Charts: 11, 12, 13, 29, 36, 37, 42
Updatet Charts: 3, 8, 10, 17, 19, 22, 34, 35, 43, 44, 45, 46, 68

 > Andreas Balzer schrieb:
 > The styleguide says: No light effects around it :)

I will find a solution for this. Next Version will be different.

 > ... that you currently only show icons in your chart. I think there has to be
some text with it. Like Edit/Remove/New/..

We made a usability survey at our Office about this. --- Icon vs. Text Button

And basically it came out:
- If the Icon follows a Concept (Icon add on Icon E.g. New, Page = New Page, etc.)
- If the Picture makes Sense to it's role
- If the Icon is at the right expected Place
Icons are a lot more used than Text Button if you see both

What douse thins mean to us?
- Same Icons should be found at the same place
- We need less basic Icons (Page, Content, ..) and some Addon Icons (New, Del, ..)
   to combine it to a logic and known Icon
- We need to penetrate the Icons to the New User so he knows what what means
   = First Time in Typo3 Flash Tutorial ... etc.

I would alway prefer Icons because I'm a Designer :)
But surely it has to a optional thing for those who don't like Icons.

 > ... i wanted to mention a possible improvement. I think it would be great, if
T3 could sort your items, according to it's meaning.

Look at the Chart 37 ... sort is planed :) ... we just a god idea how to do it.
Maybe a "Sort"-Icon by side the Combo box is enough?

> Chart 10 is a little bit confusing. You show Hide page & 'Page not in
> menu'. Below that you have From&To. Many users won't know, whether
> From&To changes the hide option, or the 'not in menu' option.

Check Chart 11-13 .. We got used to the chaos i think :)
I really think it make more sense to Group the Settings by its Parent Function.

> And also the section is a bit messy too. What about big icons and big
> texts. Only the most used functions have to be shown, but they have to
> be shown really big. Show a big icon and the text "Hide this page". If
> you click on it, the user should be asked, whether he wants to hide the
> page from all users, so they can not access it, or whether the page
> should not be displayed in menus. If this is the case, something like a
> wizard could be shown (feature suggestion for 5.0), where the BE user
> has the possibility, to hide the page from 1. sidebar, 2.menus, 3.
> search, ...

I have added some Icons but this may overload that thing a bit.
I don't think that we need dialogs/wizard for this. It's clear what
it douse and i doesn't break/del. anything.

But thanks a lot for your Feedback again !! You are the only one :(
I hoped there would be more ... :(

Greez Jens