[TYPO3-hci] 4.1 menubar thoughts

Ole Brockhuus ole at linkfactory.dk
Fri Oct 20 00:55:40 CEST 2006

Lasse skrev:
> Hi guys!
> Just wanted to give my 2 cents on the menubar from kasper.
> I really think that it's a huge step in the right direction in terms of
> usability in typo3. This is what users know from other applications and
> it will make them feel comfortable using typo3.
> I've decided to try to take it a bit further, and make it even more like
> an ordinary app, and take a well proved concept from both the mac, linux
> and MS platform: something I call "windows"..
>
> I've set up a demo, and you've got admin rights, so please don't mess
> anything up :-)
> http://www.pilt-grafisk.dk/typo3/
> user & pass: test  (for some strange reason you have to log in twice..)
>
> I've only tested it with firefox, and there are lot's of bugs, but I
> think you get the main idea.
> You need to double-click the icons to open a window - single-click
> imaginary "selects" the icon.
> You can drag the icons around to get your own personal "desktop".
> The windows are kinda slaggy as I used the prototype window class -
> http://prototype-window.xilinus.com/ - which uses both iframes and tables..
>
> What ya think??
> Best regards
>
> Lasse Nørby

Hi Lasse

Great work. Its just so obvious when you see it and start to imagine all
the great possible and logical solutions that kan be implemented in this UI.

 From here I find many things quite natural. I mean why include a
basistemplate, when you can make a shortcut to you typoscript extension
template? Doubleclick and you can edit it. Or drag it to another page
with mouse. All the wonderfull things you do naturally in an environment
the whole world knows.

For developers and maybe editors as well i would definitely go the
Dreamweaverway from here. Dockable panes with tabs in the right column:

*Pagetree with live/draft tab
*Media with filters and search in the bottom and nice icons to create
folders etc.
*configurations/typoscript templates
* html templates from configurable rootdirectory i.e.
"fileadmin/templates" - easy access to configuration (Rene - please give
us versioning of files :-)  )
*And maybe som container with elements (news, events etc.) Drag an
element to a page and the plugin is inserted automatically if it isnt on
the page. If the plugin is on the page the news element maybe goes to
the given sysfolder automatically (many problems with this ofcourse)

the items in the topbar today is definitely what i would call panes in
the right side. And the topbar should instead contain:

* New (or create)
* Edit
* Functions
* Help
* Others - im tired now

As a taxidriver in Bombay (Mumbai) said to me, whem I said I was
thinking of going to Goa.

"Don't think - go"

Regards
Ole Brockhuus, LinkFactory