[TYPO3-hci] My 4.1 proposal - again

JoH asenau info at cybercraft.de
Tue Oct 17 00:10:25 CEST 2006

>> If the purists amongst you would like to stick to the CSS only
>> solution, no problem with that, but then we had to implement a
>> really good JS based pendant to achieve the same hight quality
>> results in IE.
>>
>> Drawback: Double work
>> Advantage: If there will be an IE sometimes in the near future that
>> sticks to these standards and succeeds IE6 you can simply remove the
>> JS solution with one switch.
>
> good news for us:
> as far as c't (2/2006) said on page 191: the newe IE7 will handle
> :hover on any tags correctly.
> AND:
> in the near future there will be nearly no other version than 7
> thanks to Microsofts automatic updates which nobody will be able to
> escape. (page 193)

First question: How long will be "near future" in this case?
Second question: Nobody will be able to escape? I would really like to know
how they would legally force the user to accept such an automatic upgrade.
At least on my systems its me who decides what will be upgraded and when ...

> It also reads IE7 will handle alpha-transparency in PNGs. I think
> that will push PNG as the better transparency-format (including more
> colors).

OK - good news after all, but I don't think it will significantly change the
number of IE6 users within the next months, but this is our current
timeframe for the usability improvements. So we still have to take care of
IE<7

Joey

Dieter Nuhr, German comedian
openBC: http://www.cybercraft.de