[TYPO3-hci] My 4.1 proposal - again

JoH asenau info at cybercraft.de
Mon Oct 16 19:15:36 CEST 2006

> Since we will be using JS in the BE anyway, we can stick with the
> "old_school" approach and just try to give the layers a better
> semantical structure to make them  more accessible for screenreaders.
>
> As far as I can see the current "CSS only" solutions are all
> flickering (in IE) or hanging/slow or even both, and since they
> aren't really "CSS only" at least for IE users, we could still stick
> to the good old onmouseover() which is working with almost any
> current browser, since it will give us the best overall usability.
>
> And please don't start any "MS sucks" or "stick to the standards"
> flame war. It's a simple fact that the majority of end users in the
> real world is still using a browser that doesn't stick to these
> standards and thus we have to find a solution that will increase
> usability for all of us including these users.
>
> If the purists amongst you would like to stick to the CSS only
> solution, no problem with that, but then we had to implement a really
> good JS based pendant to achieve the same hight quality results in IE.
>
> Drawback: Double work
> Advantage: If there will be an IE sometimes in the near future that
> sticks to these standards and succeeds IE6 you can simply remove the
> JS solution with one switch.
>
> What do you think?

What about this one:

http://www.cssplay.co.uk/menus/basic_dd.html

In fact it's a real ugly hack but it is _working_ without _any_ JavaScript
at all.
They are abusing another non standard behaviour of IE: Nested A-Tags that
are generated by removing the closing tag with conditional comments for any
IE < 7 and adding it again after the whole submenu with the same trick.

This way the :hover will work for the submenus even though IE < 7 knows
:hover for anchors only.

Since the validator will behave as the standard compliant browsers the page
will validate perfectly fine :-)

So if you really prefer CSS only menus, this could be a possible compromise.

Joey

Dieter Nuhr, German comedian
openBC: http://www.cybercraft.de