[TYPO3-hci] My 4.1 proposal - again

JoH asenau info at cybercraft.de
Mon Oct 16 18:07:48 CEST 2006

>> Since there are no problems when using the old school JavaScript
>> approach of i.e. TMENU_LAYERS the cause for the flickering must be
>> in the JS used by those "suckerfish" (or similar) solutions. I guess
>> it has something to do with the JS based change of whole classes
>> (and their attributes) instead of just one atrribute (visibility or
>> position).
>>
>> Can anybody show me a CSS based layermenu page where the IE
>> flickering has been completely eliminated? If yes - we should go for
>> that code, since the target group of IE users is not really a
>> minority :-) - if not, it could be wise to find a solution to that
>> problem before going on with something that would force the user to
>> install a special browser.
>
> I do not understand what a CSS based layermenu has to do with
> accessibility at all. Yeah, nice when it may be done with CSS, but I
> still don't get it why the BE needs a CSS-only solution.
>
> Go and remove all TABLEs with DIVs if you must. But really, this
> CSS-thingy looks like a religious thing to me.

I couldn't have said this better myself ;-)

Since we will be using JS in the BE anyway, we can stick with the
"old_school" approach and just try to give the layers a better semantical
structure to make them  more accessible for screenreaders.

As far as I can see the current "CSS only" solutions are all flickering (in
IE) or hanging/slow or even both, and since they aren't really "CSS only" at
least for IE users, we could still stick to the good old onmouseover() which
is working with almost any current browser, since it will give us the best
overall usability.

And please don't start any "MS sucks" or "stick to the standards" flame war.
It's a simple fact that the majority of end users in the real world is still
using a browser that doesn't stick to these standards and thus we have to
find a solution that will increase usability for all of us including these
users.

If the purists amongst you would like to stick to the CSS only solution, no
problem with that, but then we had to implement a really good JS based
pendant to achieve the same hight quality results in IE.

Drawback: Double work
Advantage: If there will be an IE sometimes in the near future that sticks
to these standards and succeeds IE6 you can simply remove the JS solution
with one switch.

What do you think?

Joey

Dieter Nuhr, German comedian