[TYPO3-hci] Team future

Kasper Skårhøj kasper2006 at typo3.com
Fri Oct 13 08:47:48 CEST 2006

Hi Folks,

We are at some cross roads with this team and we need to figure out
what to do. The original announcement for the team purpose was posted
by me on the core mailing list the 16/5. It was tied to the official
4.5 roadmap, aiming for usability. The implicit promise was, that the
team would speak with authority on what was going to be developed for
the upcoming versions.

In the meantime I have lost faith that this team holds such
authority. I'm worried about how we get our results implemented. We
could simply ask core developers for a quote on a description of the
work and pay out association money. Or we could try to motivate them
otherwise. These models could work, but I think they are moving away
from the root causes of what drives our style of Open Source. With
this conviction I would either have to step down as team leader or
change the purpose of the team.

No matter who continues the team the ground rule is; You are on your
own. The team can claim no special rights to have their results
implemented in the core (yes, this is a change from the original
intension). Possible ways to get implementation done is through
teaming up with interested core developers or otherwise lobbying for
adoption. This is how it always worked for eg. the "CSS styled
content" team and accessibility initiatives. This ground rule also
means there is no exclusive right for the team to be _the_ usability
team. Realising this, it becomes an open market where everyone is
free to gather like-minded people on alternative HCI teams to work on
solutions and push them into the core on the same terms.

When I look at the contribution of this team, I see a typical pattern
which is in disaccord with the my originally posted questions:

> Shortterm: How can we innovate on TYPO3s usability in a network
> community? How do we identify true solutions from a pond of opinions?
>
> Longterm: How can we (the team) sustain an improved usability and
> consistency in TYPO3 over the next generations of the software?

- The shortterm questions were never answered. When I posted an
article recently on usability and open source it didn't lead people
to suggest solutions to overcoming the usability problem developers
have.

- Nobody seems to have suggested how true solutions could be
identified from the pond of options. Obviously, usability testing
could be an answer. The lack of interest in this topic recently lead
CBS researchers to shut down their initiative to get that ball
roling. They will still do it, but they realized that they had to
hand-pick the participants. I was not surprised.

- Sustaining usability in coming generations was also never discussed.

However, what really did kick-off was the collection of "personal
itches" from all over the place and that has fed into the wiki now
which is great as a knowledgebase.

My proposal for this team is to continue along the bazaar road where
everyone tries to push his own agenda and look for possible synergies
with others. If there is one thing we can obtain easily, it's
inspiring each other with ideas and perspectives. If there is one
thing we cannot achieve it is reaching a common agreement on every
detail. So I propose this as a forum for exchange of opinions and
informal creation of subgroups with common agendas. It's in this
light I propose my 4.1 suggestions.

If there are still people left who wants a more cathedral-like team
as I originally intended please speak up and we should decide who
gets to keep this team/list and who creates a new one.

I hope you all understand that I chose this direction because I
truely believe there is no better way to go. Since I respect the
right of others to have a different vision I want to enable you to
pursue that on your own initiative and I will also respect the
majority opinion on this matter.

- kasper

"Necessity is the mother of invention"
kasper2006 at typo3.com | +45 20 999 115 | skype: kasperskaarhoej |