[TYPO3-hci] Motivations, WAS: 4.1 = menubar/iconbar/dashboard; lets go!

Kasper Skårhøj kasper2006 at typo3.com
Thu Oct 12 14:19:54 CEST 2006

Thanks JoH  ( :-) )

Caught me a few months back, I would agree. In the meantime I
realized what healthy Open Source is made of:

Lets assume we have a 90-10 balance (probably worse) between
stakeholders and actual contributers to usability on this list (and
TYPO3 in general). Here are two strategic scenarios:

1: "OK, lets hear everyones opinion, then decide on a solution and we
will find someone to implement it".
This is such a nice and comforting thing to hear for the 90% that
hopes to get their problems solved by someone else. But it seriously
wears on the 10% contributers who will rightly ask, why they have to
do all the work they have no self-interest in.

2: "I don't care - for me it works"
This is very disturbing for the 90% stakeholders who now realize that
if they want it to work for them, they have to be _active_ with more
than ideas to get their agendas through. For the 10% contributers
their motivation will stay intact because they can improve the
software for their own needs - and will do so next month again.

Scenario #1 will by time shift the balance from 90/10 towards 99/1
while Scenario #2 will shift from 90/10 towards, say, 80/20 or better
(or the project will get "cleaned up" to a 100/0 balance because the
90% gets mad and leave).

"I don't care - for me it works" sounds quite negative, but the sum
of such claims is very positive as long as everyone has a fair chance
to make it work for himself; and that is where I want to go because
it is the very rationale behind why Open Source works: The Personal
Itch. Watch my keynote podcast next week where I discuss this in more
detail.

I will therefore claim that your understanding of a "professional"
and well working Open Source community is not on the mark and that my
view is a more healthy way to lead our efforts.

The TYPO3 Association offers you these ways to contribute:
- Writing patches that are approved by members of the core team.
- Extensions for anything you cannot get acceptance for in the core
team.

As a TYPO3 developer in general I offer you two things:
- Create a framework everyone can contribute into (obligation due to
role)
- Solve my clients needs (personal itch)

As the HCI team leader I offer you:
- A mailing list to meet other people concerned about usability and
through that the possibility of common ideas.

For me, its no more, no less. Since this is foundational theory for
me, I would like to hear if you find major problems with it.

As for the HCI improvements to 4.1, I always said this was my
_suggestion_, I have suggested my code as a _prototype_, invited
people to _improve_ it, but if no one will contribute significantly
on the _code_ side, you get what you see now.

- kasper