[TYPO3-hci] 4.1 = menubar/iconbar/dashboard; lets go!

Patrick Gaumond patrick at typo3quebec.org
Wed Oct 11 04:59:13 CEST 2006

1- The highlight (for me...) is the fact that the page tree (and
Filelist) are written, easily selectable and visible.

Pagetree (as we almost call it) is so much better than Web->Page as it's
  straight forward, use the "real" name and is for most editors, the
central point of TYPO3.

2- I'm not sure for the clipboard in case of a large >200 pages
Pagetree. We're used to normal apps with Edit->Paste so maybe Clipboard
is a good contender for the application bar (Kasper's horizontal bar).

3- The view from Eric mock up is for no apparent reason more temptating
to use. I never used the view/magnified glass available in the last 3
years but with the tab it's more likely I would use it. Maybe it's the
fact that it's almost instantly showing(since it's just a mock up) and
that give me this impression of usefulness suddenly...

4- The faux-spotlight menu showned in Kasper's video could possibly
replace the old "Search string/Show record" and then make the editing
area less packed. (see the box in list view in Eric's work)

5- We must bring the Undo/history feature easier to reach. The thing is
that we have Versionning that also kind of compete in the same area.
This is a tab or section that needs to be further analyzed with people
that never used TYPO3.

6- Help/About/Doc: Mac and Windows used to have the menu item Help or
About that consist of those. So maybe a straight Help menu could
effectively group together:
   About this server
   About modules installed
   Documentation/manuals
   WebStaff help center (custom link)

It should be easy for admin to add links there relative to the use of
their site. I'm thinking about some pages under a sysfolder with How-to
or even links to some intranets docs in a corporate environment.

Maybe the Help menu could also be the host for some reports, logs and
statistics.

> (I understand that you feel the old backend was good enough for admins.
> For 4.1 it will definitely stay as an option but we should be open to
> improvements to the new menu/icon concept that even admins like to work
> with in terms of efficiency)

One thing that we also should keep in mind is that all those fine
personalizations should be lockable so the admin still get complete
control if he wants standard looking BE.

As a rule of the thumb must be: What is not possible to change for a BE
user should be invisible. Here I'm referring to the present User->Setup
where users can still see stuff he shouldn't.

>> http://www.tragamin.com/t3_be/Home.html

Eric, that's fantastic that you did that so fast. I mean, I'm someone
who need stuff from others to dig deeper and with your mock up I was
able to describes ideas I had for a long time. Thanks for that. And...
same for Kasper. It's sadly easier to comment than do the actual coding
but we should be able to get it right with the eyeballs in this group
and the help of few new people not used to TYPO3.

> "Necessity is the mother of invention"

Ah the Mothers of Invention...what a musical group.  ;)

Patrick