[TYPO3-hci] Surveys and known facts?

Mark Stephenson Mark at WebEmpoweredChurch.org
Fri Nov 17 05:12:53 CET 2006

Steffan,

I agree strongly with you that TypoScript is a huge usability challenge for
TYPO3 administrators. I think we need to work toward a TYPO3 configuration
tool that hides TypoScript and provides a dynamically-generated series of
menus and forms that allows an administrator to configure as much as is
possible. It can write TypoScript so it does not impact the rest of the
system, but there is a huge need here.

I'd also like to bring up the RTE. We get a lot of complaints and confusion
from our users about the behavior of the RTE when it modifies entries and
behaves in unexpected ways. The issue there is that most people using TYPO3
will spend most of their time entering content into the RTE. So that makes
this a more critical issue. And I know it is complicated by the fact that
the RTE is not a TYPO3 development.

Lastly, for our users, we have seen confusion between list view and page
view. And we have also seen confusion with Filelist. Questions like, "why
are their two trees" (page tree and directory tree) and frustration at the
need to move back and forth between editing pages and uploading files. It
is a pain to leave the page view when you remember that you forgot to
upload a graphic. So I see three views that need improvement -- Page, View,
and Filelist.

I agree that these are some of the bigger HCI issues to be addressed.

Thanks,
Mark

Mark Stephenson                                               |
Ginghamsburg Church                             _    /||    --+--
Director of Cyber Ministry and Technology      ( }   \||      |
Director of the Web-Empowered Church,        |_\_  |---|
  a ministry of the                           |  |/ |   | Technology
Foundation for Evangelism                    |  /_ |   | for the Kingdom
http://WebEmpoweredChurch.com & org

Book: <http://webempoweredchurch.com/book>Web-Empower Your Church:
Unleashing the Power of Internet Ministry