[TYPO3-hci] PPT: Ideas to improve the Usability of Typo3 4.x / 5.0

Bernhard Kraft kraftb at kraftb.at
Fri Nov 3 12:19:04 CET 2006

Jens Hoffmann wrote:

> The whole thing shout be a inspiration and Idea-Pack for you.
> Have a lot of creative fun and share your Ideas about it :)

Hi Jens ...

I would like to comment on your PPT/PDF ...

* One good way to do something

NO!!!!
Please not. Compare it to programming or the real world ... You can do every thing
in a thousand ways ... I think the reason why I like T3 so much is that it offers
at least 3 ways to do something - if i am restricted to do a special action (like
copy&paste a page) only in one way it will close down ways for other things.

When you write a programm you always have the option to solve a specific problem in
different ways - this power is gained from the fact that a programming language is
some kind of construction kit you can put together ...
T3 is some kind of such construction kit as it offers TypoScript and TSConfig, etc.
I already heard some "rubbish" proposals (excuse the word) to drop TypoScript ...
for me that sounds like : "cut Typo3 the brain out ..." :)

Could one of you please explain me the problem with having multiple ways to perfrom
a specific task ? If I train a person I show him one of the ways - he get's used to
it - and if nothing special occurs he will probably never ever know that there are
other ways :) You could also tell him during the training that there are other ways
to perform specific tasks and if he would like to know them ...

Why does it reduce usability to have multiple solutions for a problem ?

If there are more solutions you fit more properly to the need of different people - so
you reach a brother public ... i think this is a gain of usability. Probably a loose of
oversight for someone which knows all ways ;)

* Pagetree
I like the pagetrees where you have areas to create or delete pages very much - i use
the drag-n-drop of 4.0 pagetree quite a lot (in fact i didn't remember moving a page
using other methods since 4.0 :)
I guess addint those two fields will save a lot of time again ...
(altough it should be possible to disable the "delete" area)

* Top-Drop-Down-Menus
>From all the new main/sub menu systems I like Kaspers and Boris approach most ... Kaspers
because of the sub-menus ... altough I do not like Windows and it's menus I guess this
would be a good space saving solution.
But of course it would have to work with the old skin - I guess it's not only me who prefer
the new skin. I for myself and some of my customers are already quite used to the old skin
and it takes additional awareness to get used to the new skin. You already have to learn such
a lot of things - why bother with learning new icons etc.

* TS Editor
Where do you have this screenshot from ? Is this based on the TS Editor I created ?
If someone wants to start creating an TS language tree in XML: you don't need to.
i already created such a monster - but in php - but i could easily let it print
out itself to XML ...
It took me whole 3 days to get trough all cObjects ... and config options like
config.sys_language_uid are not respected currently (only cObjects, stdWrap and
all other functions - no config options)
if you already did: we could crosscheck our trees ....

Is the TS Editor you showed available somewhere ?

Did you know about my TS Editor: http://think-open.org/kraftb/index/T3X_kb_tsedit_htmlarea_2006-07-30.t3x

It does not work very well until now (couldn't continue work on it) but it already
contains the TS-Tree ...

* ListView with Tree-Style
This get's used in a nntp-interface extension - it should become a competitor to
chc_forum - altough with not that many nifty functions in the beginning and from
the beginning have the possibility to be interconnected to an nntp server - so it
could be a new version of the mailinglist plugin on typo3.org ...

i got contacted if I could make such a thing and started to code - but it is not
finished currently ... altough the be part (and thus the tree-list-view) is mostly
finished and stable.

greets,
Bernhard