[TYPO3-hci] PPT: Ideas to improve the Usability of Typo3 4.x / 5.0

Jens Hoffmann werbung at baiz.org
Fri Nov 3 14:55:16 CET 2006

Hi Bernhard,

First of all i like to say: THX for your Feedback!! :)

Now i try to answer your questions.

> * One good way to do something
> Why does it reduce usability to have multiple solutions for a problem ?

Easy: You get confused.

- Usually user ask them self: Is the functionality really the same?
   (What will you say. Yes! What will he ask then ...)
- The User always need to make a decision.
   (Usability Book Title: Don't make me Think! ...)
- You lose the focus on a general user guidance concept.
   (The whole Backend could be like one "1-2-3" wizard.
    Now it's like a "1 - 2.1,2.2,2.3 - 3.1,3.2 ..." wizard.
    This really doesn't simplify things!)
- It is a lot harder to adapt the knowledge to other Modules.
   (Eg.: Save means = Click the Icon at the top. Allays.)
- You could confuse the Users while you teach them Typo3.
   (They try to remember both Ways and which is for what better.)
- For me there is now Pro's to have 3 same way form A to B.

Sure on the beginning you may miss something.
But on the end will get use to it like before. :)
(Maybe a configuration thing, a easy way to activate/deactivate things.)

I don't like to reduce functionality, i only like to reduce same ways!

> * Pagetree
> I guess addint those two fields will save a lot of time again ...
> (altough it should be possible to disable the "delete" area)

Everything should be configurable! :)

> But of course it would have to work with the old skin - ... - why bother with learning new icons etc.

1. Would be grate if it is possible to separate Skin and Menu, etc.
2. Someday i think a change has to happen if we like to to improve
    the usability.

> * TS Editor
> Where do you have this screenshot from ? Is this based on the TS Editor I created ?

I created it in Photoshop. Based on nothing. :)
(Already posted in the HCI-List 18.5.2006 > [TYPO3-hci] TS editor)

> * Top-Drop-Down-Menus
> If someone wants to start creating an TS language tree in XML: you don't need to.

Grate! I don't have one. eMail it to me.
But i don't have really more than the PS-Artwork.

> * TS Editor
> Is the TS Editor you showed available somewhere ?
> Did you know about my TS Editor: http://think-open.org/kraftb/index/T3X_kb_tsedit_htmlarea_2006-07-30.t3x

NO :( Only PS.
I tryed it a long time ago. But it doesn't really worked well :)

> * ListView with Tree-Style
> This get's used in a nntp-interface extension - ... altough the be part (and thus the tree-list-view) is mostly
> finished and stable.

Is is somewhere available, i would love to do a tryout ?

Thx Bernhard!

Greez Jens