[TYPO3-v4] Improving backend search for 4.4 and 4.5

Stefan Neufeind typo3.neufeind at speedpartner.de
Mon Sep 19 11:56:38 CEST 2011

On 09/19/2011 11:29 AM, Dmitry Dulepov wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Sometime ago I made a patch to significantly improve performance of the
> Backend search. The patch is available here:
> https://review.typo3.org/#change,2189. It will be included into TYPO3 4.6.
>
> Now I think it would be nice to have that in 4.4 and 4.5. However the
> patch changes search behavior so that extension tables will not be
> searched unless they define a new entry in the $TCA, where they list all
> searchable fields. Thus the change is incompatible with 4.4 and 4.5. I
> guess it cannot appear in the official version.

[...]

> Yet another option is to have a collection of patches somewhere on
> typo3.org for such backports. We must state the version for which it can
> be applied and the usual statement that it is provided "as is" and
> unsupported by the core team. It needs time to setup and code, which
> is... You know, no one will do that.
>
> Any other ideas for sharing such nice-to-have patches for older versions?

I've wondered about various patches  which improve usability, speed or
the like why they can't go into a LTS-version. If people should stay "a
long time" with 4.5 we could maybe decide on a case-by-case basis where
it makes sense to have a feature "backported" because of dramatic
improvements.

I personally don't think it's really worth to care about improvements
for 4.4. However with an LTS-version that's a different case imho.

Other than that ... hmm ... how would people use your patches? Maybe
provide a (private) download of changed files so they can extract your
archive over their clean install? It's not a clean solution either - but
I also don't think everybody can work with patchfiles or the like. And I
don't think that "forking TYPO3" is a good way either (but oppinions may
vary about that).

We'll, I'd really favor if you'd come up with a LTFS-version (longterm
feature-version :-)) of 4.5.

Regards,
 Stefan