[TYPO3-v4] Improving backend search for 4.4 and 4.5

Dmitry Dulepov dmitry.dulepov at gmail.com
Mon Sep 19 11:29:50 CEST 2011

Hi!

Sometime ago I made a patch to significantly improve performance of the
Backend search. The patch is available here:
https://review.typo3.org/#change,2189. It will be included into TYPO3 4.6.

Now I think it would be nice to have that in 4.4 and 4.5. However the patch
changes search behavior so that extension tables will not be searched
unless they define a new entry in the $TCA, where they list all searchable
fields. Thus the change is incompatible with 4.4 and 4.5. I guess it cannot
appear in the official version.

Still I would like to provide this patch for those, who want to apply it
manually. I wonder what would be the best way to go it?

I can put it to Gerrit. Than it is easy to fetch. The limitation is that it
must not be submitted to 4.4 and 4.5. I'll have to give a -2 on this patch
but update it for every new 4.4 or 4.5 release if necessary. This will work
but it is not a proper usage for Git, so I do not like this approach much.

Another option would be to have a newer branch in Git
(TYPO3_4-4_essential_backports), which could contain unsupported essential
backports. But the problem with that branch is its state: we can have it
but we cannot promis it is stable. So it is not a good solution either.

Yet another option is to have a collection of patches somewhere on
typo3.org for such backports. We must state the version for which it can be
applied and the usual statement that it is provided "as is" and unsupported
by the core team. It needs time to setup and code, which is... You know, no
one will do that.

Any other ideas for sharing such nice-to-have patches for older versions?

--
Dmitry "itoldyou" Dulepov
TYPO3 core&security team member
E-mail: dmitry.dulepov at typo3.org