[TYPO3-v4] New vs "Old" Extension Manager

François Suter fsu-lists at cobweb.ch
Tue Sep 13 09:06:43 CEST 2011

Hi,

>> - to make the new EM the default in new installations of 4.6
>> - to get entirely rid of the new EM in 4.7
>
> You mean *old* here, right?

Sure. (damn! ;-) )

> Thesis:
> Codewise, new em does not simplify things. It is built on-top-of old em
> code and makes things even harder to maintain. The whole thing should be
> built from scratch.

I guess I didn't express myself quite clearly enough. Indeed the new EM
is not really a help, in the sense that it reuses old part which forces
it to do rather ugly things.

However - as you also mention - the fact that it's built very much to
work with AJAX calls (ExtDirect) means that every call could be rebuilt,
one by one, until we have - eventually - something clean. Officially
getting rid of the old EM just means that at least we don't need to care
if something breaks on that side.

Francois Suter