[TYPO3-v4] New vs "Old" Extension Manager

Helmut Hummel helmut.hummel at typo3.org
Tue Sep 13 08:28:38 CEST 2011

Hi Christian,

On 12.09.11 23:28, Christian Kuhn wrote:

> Disclaimer: My own opinion, it might be a bit radical ...

I totally agree with you.

> (need a bad day? read the em core code!)

This is really true. I tried to help Xavier and François but looking at
the code and the number of real bugs (but just playing around while
testing the patches) in the new (and since 4.5 also old EM) was/ is
frustrating.

> At the moment, based on the current code base, I'd recommend to drop new
> em, and build a new install tool and a new em on a flexible code base.
> At least I'm personally not available to maintain new em code as-is
> because of its high 'what-the-fuck-per-minute'-factor in combination
> with the old core classes.
>
> Realistically, I'd not change too much in new em anymore, just fix the
> most problematic UI things like you and Xavier did, maybe at best drop
> as much as possible from legacy code, but I'd not rely on anything of
> the current code base for a real solution of 4.7 or above, it is just
> too messy.

+1

Kind regards,
Helmut

--
Helmut Hummel
TYPO3 Security Team Leader, TYPO3 v4 Core Team Member

TYPO3 .... inspiring people to share!
Get involved: typo3.org