[TYPO3-v4] Git/Gerrit workflow, commit messages

Ernesto Baschny [cron IT] ernst at cron-it.de
Mon Mar 21 09:32:59 CET 2011

Jigal van Hemert schrieb am 21.03.2011 09:28:
> Hi,
>
> On 21-3-2011 6:16, Dmitry Dulepov wrote:
>> Jigal van Hemert wrote:
>>> The description is a "bit" long, but it contains quite a lot of useful
>>> information about reproducing the problem, etc.
>>
>> And that must go to the bug tracker, not to the commit message.
>
> That's what I heard.
>
> My point was that previously the RFC structure was extended a bit to
> contain also the "how to test / reproduce" information because RFCs
> without this were received less reviews than RFCs with this information.
> (The same was true for RFCs without the actual patch and RFCs with the
> patch)
>
> Moving this information to another system will most likely reduce the
> chances that it will receive enough votes quickly. We reviewers seem to
> be rather lazy in this regard :-)
>
> If we move almost everything (background info, how-to-test, demo
> extension, screenshots, etc.) to the bugtracker we could even reduce the
> commit message more.

Yes, that's the plan. The commit message is just the commit message
(like our old "ChangeLog"). The description of everything should be in
the issue tracker!

This is a good change because in the past the information was split up
in the "RFC mail" and in the "Issue tracker", no central place where one
could look up.

Of course its then the job of the guy submitting the review request to
"clean up" the issue in the tracker by updating the description, subject
and extra information, so that

a) the reviewer can understand the patch *and*
b) the original author of the issue (if the bug was reported by someone
else) can still relate to it.