[TYPO3-v4] Git/Gerrit workflow, commit messages

Ernesto Baschny [cron IT] ernst at cron-it.de
Mon Mar 21 09:27:37 CET 2011

Jigal van Hemert schrieb am 20.03.2011 23:33:

> On 20-3-2011 19:26, Helmut Hummel wrote:
>> Is this a commit message style we're aiming for?
>> I personally do not like such lengthy commit message, but would not mind
>> if everyone agrees this is the way to go.
>>
>> But I'm still not sure if this is the case.
>
> The description is a "bit" long, but it contains quite a lot of useful
> information about reproducing the problem, etc.
>
> Others have suggested to put the 'extra' information either in the
> bugtracker (where hardly anyone will see it) or in a comment (= a review
> with '0' votes)
>
> One advantage of complete RFC posts was that in one place you had the
> description of the problem, the solution, how to reproduce/test and the
> patch itself.
>
> Without knowing what exactly is shown where and how readable it remains
> after a patch is voted in, it's hard to judge the amount and format of
> information that should go in the commit message / comment / etc.
>
> There are already some guidelines about line length, etc. but some good
> suggestions from some git experts would be nice.

It's just a matter of education that we now should use the BUG TRACKER
for those kind of detailed information. Any reviewer wanting to
understand the problem he is reviewing should have no problem going to
the issue tracker and read it there. It's linked in the review commit
message (Issue: ...).

Updating and keeping the information in the bug tracker readable also
has the side effect that everything is consistent and future lookups
there will match the information we used to commit the change.

So I opt for minimal information in the GIT commit message (just like we
had in the past in our ChangeLog entries) and *only* refer to longer
descriptions in the Issue tracker.

Refer to this issue in the git team where this topic is discussed:

http://forge.typo3.org/issues/13257

If you like the procedure, please add your comment there, so that we can
get a final decision on it.