[TYPO3-v4] TCA Valueslider Wizard

Ernesto Baschny [cron IT] ernst at cron-it.de
Tue Mar 15 11:18:59 CET 2011

Tolleiv Nietsch schrieb am 15.03.2011 10:00:

>> That's a good thing here. We won't get "rid" of it, and people *can*
>> depend on that. That's not bad. Imagine a TER extension where you don't
>> know if it will still be there 2 months from now (after for example a
>> security issue)?

> Come on - even in the Core we have less "maintained" parts and some
> extensions have equally active contributors. People know that an
> extensions maintained by a Core member might still get the attention it
> needs.

If its in the core, its part of the organized community effort and
everybody can contribute / fix it, or get attention to it. This does not
happen with extensions in TER, because they are usually "owned" by
single persons. So to me it gives a much better feeling about it. I
could contact the guy who wrote the core patch (Steffen in this case) or
at least I know there is a huge team that might be available for getting
a bugfix in (through Gerrit etc).

>> I understand and I agree with you that at some point in time we should
>> try to outsource more and more "optional" components to external
>> extensions, but without any working concept ("A-class extensions",
>> "Incubation", "Core Extensions in TER" ...) around it, it cannot happen.

> The problem is once we have it in the Core, how would we ever move it
> back to an extension - people would have to install these extensions to
> keep their "known" features and due to the fact that it moved to an
> extension the "API" ;) might change a bit too. So once it's in the Core
> the way "back" get's much harder.

Yes, but not impossible, and this is what we should also focus when
talking about the incubator thingy. It has also happened in the past
(remember, tt_news was part of the core some time in the long forgotten
past..)

> Maybe we should put that incubator/A-class thing on the list for the
> T3DD11 meeting, it pops up far too often to skip it.

We could, but this won't lead to anything new, I suspect (we have had
this on the agenda for all previous 4 meetings we had, I have the
impression). This has to be tackled by a small team and presented to the
core team afterwards, just like the "Git" project was done. It's
worthless to discuss this (yet again) in a large scale, because there
are so many different opinions on that.