[TYPO3-v4] Current master branch is broken?

Dmitry Dulepov dmitry.dulepov at gmail.com
Wed Jun 29 09:17:47 CEST 2011

Hi!

Christian Kuhn wrote:
> I do not generally agree with a thinking like "we can not change things
> that have always been like this". In this special case I agree to you
> that an upgrade path should still be as simple as possible and should
> use paradigms we are already used to.

I never said we should not change existing things :) I said that there is a
tool, which is a Swiss knife to solve database problems and it must
function always. That's all. So we talk the same :)

> Here is another possible solution: We add a section to the 'compare db
> wizard' that is called something like 'Take care of all cache tables'.
> This option is enabled by default and does the following:
> - Delete all tables that are prefixed with 'cachingframework_'
> - Delete temp_CACHED* files (not sure if we _really_ need this, will check)
> - Call cacheManager->flushCaches() to (re)-create needed table
> structure. Maybe we could even move the code to a
> 'drop-and-recreate-table' method within this backend.

This is a solution but it is one more click. Wouldn't it be possible to
have a hook in the database analyzer, which will add all necessary SQL
instructions just like for any other table? This way we do not force
technical differences on user and do it in the familiar way. If we do a new
link, people may have problems realizing that they need to click a link.

> - No additional checks for any mysql_error() polluting the caching
> framework code

Well, you never know why the error may happen. Table crash, for example?
Many people still use MyISAM and disable InnoDB. That's stupid but it is a
reason to have checks.

> This solution would imho fit pretty much all needs. What do you think?
> If there is no one with a better solution I'll try to come up with a
> patch that hacks this into current t3lib_install, soon.

The solution sounds very well thought and clear. I would only wish that it
works as simple for the user as possible.

--
Dmitry "itoldyou" Dulepov
TYPO3 core&security team member
E-mail: dmitry.dulepov at typo3.org