[TYPO3-v4] TYPO3 4.6 Ideas: Module reordering

Jigal van Hemert jigal at xs4all.nl
Tue Jun 14 14:57:28 CEST 2011

Hi Kay,

On 14-6-2011 13:19, Kay Strobach wrote:

>> 1) The extension can determine where its module is placed in the menu.
>> This can take a different shape than it is currently, but it's hard to
>> set up a system when the items which are present vary so much from
>> installation to installation.
>>
>> 2) The integrator can set the order of the modules in a menu.
>>
>> 3) The BE user can set the order of the modules in his own menu
>>
>> The last item has the highest priority.
>
> for me 1) and 2) are more important than 3).

I meant priority not as important for which feature to program first,
but as priority for the order of the modules.
- extension can set position of module
- integrator can override the order
- BE user can override the order

> In most cases users rely on a manual.
> This way they have a printed or electronic version with fixed menu.

In larger companies there is often training for editors and they use
custom manuals for their editors. While the integrator can select which
modules a user (or group) may access, it can often be useful to set the
order also.

Some of the more advanced user may want to put the most frequently used
modules together on top or use another order which they find convenient.

> What do you think about the categories, should the user be able to
> modify them as well?

It would be very luxurious if the whole menu could be changed (titles,
order, which module in which category, etc.)

You are right that this makes it impossible to find your way around the
menu if you start reading the extension manuals, but the use case for
this is that large organisation where they have custom manuals and not
the actual extension manuals. That's also the place where you find
tt_news forms with loads of disabled fields, lots of backend layouts, etc.

--
Kind regards / met vriendelijke groet,

Jigal van Hemert.