[TYPO3-v4] Postponing 4.5 RC1

Dmitry Dulepov dmitry.dulepov at typo3.org
Tue Jan 18 14:14:03 CET 2011

Hi!

Ernesto Baschny wrote:
> - speed improvements: by loading ExtJS on all frames the current backend
> is slower on certain browsers. We want to try our best to get some
> improvements here.

Concatenating source files for ExtJS and minifying them all with YUI
compressor significantly redices file size and makes them load faster. I
would also add .htaccess and expiration time there for ExtJS files to force
client caching. Even better approach: gzip minified files and send those if
possible with expiration date.

Here is some interesting numbers:

ExtJS JS uncompressed: 1394K
ExtJS JS minified: 729K
ExtJS JS minified + gzipped: 205K

Gzipped is 3x less!

ExtJS CSS (ext-all-no-theme+xtheme-gray): 136K
ExtJS CSS minified: 113K
ExtJS CSS minified + gzipped: 17K

That's nearly 7x times smaller.

Notice: using mod_deflate is worse than precompressing because:
- it does not compress that well
- it uses chunked HTTP transfer and that is slow
- it does not send Content-length header and that slows down the browser
because that has to timeout the connection to detect transfer end if the
server does not use "Connection: close"

So if you really want to improve that, make a precompressed version and
send that with TYPO3 BE. It should easy with existing API.

--
Dmitry Dulepov
TYPO3 core&security team member
E-mail: dmitry.dulepov at typo3.org