[TYPO3-v4] Just a few rants (don't take it offensive)

JoH asenau info at cybercraft.de
Thu Jan 13 12:57:06 CET 2011

> "Average frequency of usage" is a term which is worth some discussion. I
> think it heavily varies between different projects which fields are used
> how often. It's obvious that you can not match the real frequency of
> usage of a certain project with your order. So the advantage is only
> theoretical, not practical.

Of course this might be true for taqbs like Appearance or Behaviour.
So we had to made a decision there, but you can be sure that you will
find the most important fields in the first two tabs.

When you create a new page, you ave to set the doktype and the title.
When you create a new text element, you have to set the bodytext and in
most of the cases as header.

So this "average frequency" has got a practical background that is a
result of the experiences of people involved in the development of this
concept. These were personal experiences as well as experiences with a
lot of users they have been training on different version of TYPO3.

> In my opinion good usability means the user will find the right field
> with the first guess. If you want to update "Replace Content" in which
> Tab will you find it? Appearance, Behaviour or Resources? Could fit into
> all 3 because they're quite generic terms. With the Tabs Frontend and
> Backend you would know where to search.

As already mentioned, this is due to the fact that you are used to a
certain order of fields. Additionally you expect the fields to follow
your preferred logic, which is based on a more developer oriented
separation between FE and BE.

A new user won't have these problems, because he will not know that
there is a field "replace content" and that it could be put into an "FE
tab" as well. Maybe he doesn't even know about the difference between FE
and BE. But he would have got the same result with the current layout,
having the "replace content" field in the "options" tab.

So the only thing you have to do is: Clear the "mental cache" and get
used to the new concept as if you were a newbie. Then you will remember
where "replace content" can be found as easily as you did before.
And then you will notice that the action triggered with this field
pretty much fits into what we called "Appearance", since it will result
in a visible change.

Cheers

Joey

Dieter Nuhr, German comedian