[TYPO3-v4] Just a few rants (don't take it offensive)

Sebastian Michaelsen sebastian.gebhard at gmail.com
Thu Jan 13 12:19:08 CET 2011

Thanks for your answer Joey!

Am 13.01.2011 11:54, schrieb JoH asenau:
> T3UXW happened in 2009. So this raises the question why you waited until now and didn't do it a few
> weeks/months ago - most of the stuff you mention, has not been introduced within the last few days
> but has been discussed for a very long time.
I aware of the the fact that my rant is quite late and and probably will not change the overall
order of fields for the 4.5 release.

When I first had to deal with the new order, of course I had a hard time but I knew that I was used
to the old layout, so I would just have to get used to it. But as time went by I got the feeling
that a few things are very unlogical.

> So we decided to follow the rules that can be found here:
> http://forge.typo3.org/projects/typo3v4-tca_cleanup/wiki
Thanks for the link

> Of course we could have separated FE and
> BE into different tabs, but we don't necessarily have to, when we think about overall usability.
Of course Usability is the key goal, that's what I also had in mind with my proposals.

> In our concept the order of the tabs must follow the average frequency of usage of the features
> contained in the tab and so should the order of the fields within a tab, to improve the working
> speed of the users.
"Average frequency of usage" is a term which is worth some discussion. I think it heavily varies
between different projects which fields are used how often. It's obvious that you can not match the
real frequency of usage of a certain project with your order. So the advantage is only theoretical,
not practical.
In my opinion good usability means the user will find the right field with the first guess. If you
want to update "Replace Content" in which Tab will you find it? Appearance, Behaviour or Resources?
Could fit into all 3 because they're quite generic terms. With the Tabs Frontend and Backend you
would know where to search.

> Forget about the current state of the German labels, since they have to be reworked based on the new
> state of the original labels, which has been finally freezed with beta4.
Ok, I hope for some improvements here.