[TYPO3-v4] Just a few rants (don't take it offensive)

JoH asenau info at cybercraft.de
Thu Jan 13 11:54:21 CET 2011

Hi Sebastian.

No offense taken :-)

> Besides the many great improvements TYPO3 has made once again there are
> some points I am not happy with and I wanted to let you know about them.

T3UXW happened in 2009. So this raises the question why you waited until
now and didn't do it a few weeks/months ago - most of the stuff you
mention, has not been introduced within the last few days but has been
discussed for a very long time.

The new structure of pages and tt_content is the result of a longer
process that started at T3UXW09 and lead us to the current state, which
has been appreciated by most of the people who tested it.

Of course there have been complaints especially by the people who are
used to the "old school" look and feel, but these were made because they
have to get used to the new structures, which might slow down their
personal performance for a while.

We had different concepts in mind for the rearrangement and finally
agreed upon the one we used now, which is concentrating on personal
performance of both, editors AND administrators.

So we decided to follow the rules that can be found here:
http://forge.typo3.org/projects/typo3v4-tca_cleanup/wiki

If this order doesn't seem logical to you at a first glance, this is due
the "preset structures" that you still have in mind coming form the
former layout. Of course we could have separated FE and BE into
different tabs, but we don't necessarily have to, when we think about
overall usability.

In our concept the order of the tabs must follow the average frequency
of usage of the features contained in the tab and so should the order of
the fields within a tab, to improve the working speed of the users.

So the most important stuff will be in the first row of the General tab
that contains other rows with fields that will be changed more
frequently. This tab is followed by Access and Metadata, since they
contain the stuff that will be changed still frequently but less than
General, while Appearance (Look and Feel for both BE and FE), Behaviour
(Technical settings for both BE and FE) and Resources will be used
seldomly, sometimes just once.

Same for tt_content, which got a similar order of tabs and fields, but
hasn't got too many BE related fields.

Both have been finally implemented during the code sprint in Stuttgart
in October 2010 and available for testing at least since then, so IMHO
it's a little too late now for this rant.

> == LABELS ==
> - The German Labels for the page.keywords and page.description fields

Forget about the current state of the German labels, since they have to
be reworked based on the new state of the original labels, which has
been finally freezed with beta4.

Since the translation server works independently from the rest of the
core, we can still improve them within the next days, without having to
touch the source code.

So stay tuned!

Cheers

Joey