[TYPO3-v4] Basic Frontend User Registration for the core?

Xavier Perseguers typo3 at perseguers.ch
Fri Feb 11 10:49:30 CET 2011

Hi,

> On 11-2-2011 7:45, Xavier Perseguers wrote:
>> Then regarding the question whether it should be part or not of the
>> core, my POV is that it does not need to, the Core is big enough and
>> many smaller websites do not need user registration.
>
> The same logic applies to dbal, impexp, sys_note, version, workspaces,
> about, aboutmodules, linkvalidator, taskcenter, sys_action, func,
> func_wizards, wizard_crpages, wizard_sortpages, fluid, extbase, feedit,
> simulatestatic, felogin, indexed_search, adodb, openid, rsaauth,
> saltedpasswords...
> Not all sites will use those.

I agree but they are part of the core for some reason:

- They are deeply related to what is found in Core (DBAL for instance).
No way to develop it/correct it without touching Core itself (think of
the SQL parser). Another example is indexed_search
- They are required by one of those tightly-tight-with-core-extension
(e.g., adodb)
- They are the way we encourage people to use TYPO3 for a smooth
transition to another version (fluid and extbase)
- They are there to secure TYPO3 (rsaauth, saltedpasswords) and will
eventually become required (4.6 ?)

Whether about or aboutmodules are really "extensions" is another
question but having some "about" in an application is quite common :-)

> OTOH there is a definite need for a series of features which are
> available "out of the box" (or with core-supported extensions)
>
>> I would prefer releasing it on TER, highlighted with other "A-Class"
>> (oh, what was that already?) extensions and let integrators use it or
>> not according to their needs.
>
> Great! Then we should go ahead and create such a system.
>
> I still believe an in-between solution would be better:
> - in core support for frontend editing of records by visitors

Exactly! And you wrote "core support", not "core extension". For me it's
important to provide a good API for those requirement. This is our job
for TYPO3, but not creating the related extension.

> - "A-class" (or any other name) extension(s) which use this core feature
> for fe_user registration, etc.
> This way the frontend TCEform-like stuff is also available for third
> party extensions.

I agree.

Cheers
Xavier